Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Divine Call of a Missionary

I think writing helps me be more patient. Even though there's no news, I just wanted to say that I'm super excited to receive my call and serve the Lord! This morning as I was getting ready for school I listened to a talk by Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Presidency of the Seventy called The Divine Call of a Missionary. He described the experience of observing President Eyring make the assignments for the new missionaries one particular week, and the process that the apostles go through to do so. The part that was most meaningful to me was that President Eyring started with a prayer asking the Lord "to bless him to know “perfectly” where the missionaries should be assigned." They're not just vague impressions or arbitrary decisions. The apostle who makes the assignment is guided by God and has enough faith that God can communicate exactly where He wants that missionary to serve.

With my own papers among the queue that should be assigned in the next couple of weeks, this knowledge is especially comforting to me. For 18 months I will be exactly where God wants me to be. Not where President Eyring wants me to be, but where God wants me to be. And I can't wait to find out exactly where that is!

You can read, watch, or listen to the talk here. It addresses young men because the talk was given during the Priesthood Session of General Conference, but it certainly still applies to myself and all the other soon-to-be sister missionaries out there!